STEVEN FU, MD, MSCE
- Director, Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research
- Core Investigator, Center for Chronic Disease and Outcomes Research,
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of
Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Core Investigator, University of Minnesota Transdisciplinary Tobacco
Use Research Center (TTURC), Minneapolis, MN
- Staff Physician, Section of General Internal Medicine, Veteran Affairs
Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Director, CCDOR Physician Fellowship Program in Health Services Research
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- MD, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- MSCE, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine,
Center for Clinical, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Philadelphia, PA
- Improving tobacco treatment in diverse and disadvantaged populations
- Culturally sensitive tobacco cessation interventions
- Racial/ethnic disparities in health and health care
- Fu SS, van Ryn M, Burgess DB, Sherman SE, Noorbaloochi S, Clothier BA, Sandberg, A, Joseph AM. Population-Based Tobacco Treatment:
Study Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial. BMC Public Health 12:159 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-159, 2012.
- Widome R, Littman AJ, Laska MN, Fu SS. Promoting healthful behaviors in young veterans is the key to preventing chronic disease.
Prev Chronic Dis 9:110132. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd9.110132, 2012.
- Joseph AM, Fu SS, Lindgren B, Rothman A, Kodl M, Lando H, Doyle B, Hatsukami D. Chronic disease management for tobacco dependence:
A randomized, controlled trial. Archives of Internal Medicine 171(21):1894-1900, 2011.
- Burgess DJ, Widome R, van Ryn M , Phelan S, Fu SS. Self-stigma, stress, and smoking among African American and American Indian female smokers:
an exploratory qualitative study. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice 5(1): 20-31m 2011.
- Smith MW, Chen S, An LC, Fu SS, Nugent S, Nelson DB, Joseph Am., Cost-effectiveness of an intensive telephone-based intervention
for smoking cessation. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 2011 Oct 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Widome R, Nelson Laska M, Gulden A, Fu SS, Lust K. Health risk behaviors of Afghanistan and Iraq war Veterans attending college.
American Journal of Health Promotion 26(2):101-108, 2011.
- Widome R, Joseph AM, Brock B, Chlebeck B, Polusny M, Fu SS. Talking to Iraq and Afghanistan war Veterans about tobacco use.
Nicotine and Tobacco Research 13(7):623-626, 2011.
- Butler M, Kane RL, McAlpine D, Kathol R, Fu S, Hagedorn H, Wilt T. Does integrated care improve treatment for depression?
A systematic review. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management 34(2):1-19, 2011.
- van Ryn M, Burgess DJ, Dovido JF, Phelan SM, Malat J, Griffin JM, Fu SS, Saha S, Perry S. The impact of racism on
clinician cognition, behavior and clinical decision-making. Du Bois Review: Social Science Research on Race 8(1):199-218, 2011.
- Fu SS, Burgess DJ, van Ryn M, Rhodes KR, Widome R, Ricards J, Noorbaloochi S, Clothier BA, Su J, Joseph AM. Smoking cessation
strategies for American Indians: Should smoking cessation treatment include a prescription for a complete home smoking ban? American
Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6 Suppl 1):S56-65, 2010.
- Stahre MA, Okuyemi KS, Joseph AM, Fu SS. Racial/ethnic differences in menthol cigarette smoking, population quit ratios
and utilization of evidence-based tobacco cessation treatments. Addiction 105(Suppl 1):75-83, 2010.
- Burgess, DJ, Fu, SS, van Ryn, M. Potential unintended consequences of tobacco-control
policies on mothers who smoke: a review of the literature.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine 37(2 Suppl):S151-8, 2009.
- Fu, SS, Burgess, DJ, Hatsukami, DK, Noorbaloochi, S, Clothier, BA, Nugent, S, van Ryn, M.
Race and nicotine replacement therapy treatment outcomes among diverse, low-income smokers.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35(6S):S442–S448, 2008.
- Fu, SS, Kodl, M, Joseph, AM, Hatsukami, DK, Johnson, E, Breslau, N, Bierut, L:
Racial/Ethnic disparities in quit ratios and use of nicotine replacement therapy in smokers
Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 17: 1640-1647, 2008.
- Burgess, DJ, Fu, SS, Joseph, AM, Hatsukami, DK, Solomon, J, van Ryn, M: Understanding
smoking and cessation among Hmong smokers: Results from an exploratory qualitative study.
Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved
- Fu, SS, McFall, M., Saxon, A, Beckham, J, Carmody, T, Baker, D, Joseph, AM: Posttraumatic
stress disorder and smoking: A systematic review.
Nicotine and Tobacco Research 9:1071-1084, 2007.
- Fu, SS, Burgess, DJ, van Ryn, M, Hatsukami, DK, Solomon, J, Joseph, AM: Views on smoking
cessation methods in ethnic minority communities: A qualitative investigation.
Preventive Medicine, 44:235-240, 2007.
- Burgess, DJ, Fu, SS, Joseph, AM, Hatsukami, DK, Solomon, J, van Ryn, M: Beliefs and
experiences regarding smoking cessation among American Indians.
Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 9 (Suppl 1): S19-S28, 2007.
- Kodl, M, Fu, SS, Joseph, AM: Timing of treatment for habitual smoking and alcohol
Alcohol Research and Review, 29:203-207, 2006.
- Fu, SS, Partin, MR, Snyder, A, An, LC, Nelson, DB, Clothier, B, Nugent, S, Willenbring, ML,
Joseph, AM: Promoting repeat tobacco dependence treatment: Are relapsed smokers interested?
American Journal of Managed Care, 12:235-243, 2006.
- Fu, SS, Sherman, SE, Yano, EM, van Ryn, M, Lanto, AB, Joseph, AM: Ethnic disparities in the
use of pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation in an equal access health care system.
American Journal of Health Promotion, 20:108-116, 2005.
- Sherman, SE, Fu, SS, Joseph, AM, Lanto, AB, Yano, EM: Gender differences in smoking cessation
services received among veterans.
Women's Health Issues, 15:126-33, 2005.
- Jonk, Y., Sherman, SE., Fu, SS, Hamlet-Berry, K, Geraci, MC, Joseph, AM: National trends in
the provision of smoking cessation aids within the Veterans Health Administration.
American Journal of Managed Care 11:77-85, 2005.
- Burgess, DJ, Fu, SS, van Ryn, M: Why do providers contribute to disparities and what can be
done about it?
Journal of General Internal Medicine 19:1154-1159, 2004.
- van Ryn, M. and Fu, SS: Paved with good intentions: The provider contribution to disparities
American Journal of Public Health 93(2):58-65, 2003.
- Fu, SS, Ma, GX, Siu, PT, Tu, XM, Metlay, JP: Cigarette smoking among Chinese Americans and
the influence of linguistic acculturation.
Nicotine & Tobacco Research 5(6):803-11, 2003.